Sunday, March 4, 2007

Let's face it...

If I played the Justin Scott "name that song that's the title of my post" game you could bust out the old but trusty Mighty Mighty Bosstones' album and win my contest. Too bad for you that I don't play that game, but I have an entirely newfound respect for you if you 1) know who the MMB even were and 2) knew them well enough to know that "Let's Face It" was the title of the album as well as one of the songs.

What I really wanted to say is: Let's face it. I am a terrible blogger. I've been a member of this little site for over a year now and have what seems to be less than 10 posts to show for it. It's not that I don't have anything to say...because we all know THAT'S not true...but I just can't seem to find enough things to write about on a consistent basis that will impress you. Because I want to impress you, despite what my previous post (note the date...) says.

However, with my upcoming move to Natal, Brazil I would like to be in the habit of blogging by the time I arrive in order to continue the habit to keep my friends and supporters informed on my LST internship there. (Shameless plug: if you or your parents or your friends are interested in helping contribute toward my support, PLEASE let me know. I'm posting the link as soon as I post this entry.) It hit me on Friday, March 2, that exactly 6 months from Saturday, March 3, I would be on a plane, headed to spend my year(s) in Natal. Now, while I am very, very, VERY excited, realizing it was a mere 6 months away gave me one of those deep, awkward feelings in the pit of my belly, the kind of feeling that tells me I wish it was tomorrow and I wish it would never come, all at the same time. Don't let this alarm you (especially if you were seriously considering a contribution,) because it's a good feeling. A very, very good one. It's the same feeling you get when you have been on an airplane for the last 3/6/8/14 hours, on your way to an exciting vacation or an exciting visit with family and the plane ride has gotten monotonous and miserable until the exact second the pilot tells you they have begun the descent and then all you can think about is the person you are about to see or the new place you are about to explore or how good it will feel to use the restroom in an area larger than 2 square feet.

THAT feeling.

On an entirely unrelated note, I find it curious how much I love using parentheses. I feel like parenthetical interjections are how my writing becomes a conversation with you. Leave a comment so it can feel more real. :)

1 comment:

Deanna said...

hey! i would love to keep up with your adventures through your blog. i am so excited that you are still going to brazil. are you looking for monthly support or one time contributions? how are you doing on that whole fun process?

i totally know the feeling you are talking about. i am further away from actually going than you are, but every time i think about it i get that same way. pretty cool how God links us mission people together that way because most might not get that.

sorry if this is too long of a comment. check out my blog too!! : )