Saturday, June 30, 2007

Tomorrow I leave for a week of middle school church camp. Now most of you, having read that previous sentence, have immediately developed hives all over your body in response to the idea of spending a week with middle schoolers. I, however, by some kind of miracle, could not be more excited. In 2005 I spent the summer working camps at ACU, alternating weeks of middle schoolers and high schoolers. It was during that summer of 2005 that I discovered that either:
1) Middle schoolers are God's gift to the Earth
2) God gave me a gift of ministering to middle schoolers and loving them at the same time.

My hunch is that most likely we're working with option #2, but thankfully I believe #1 wholeheartedly. Middle school can be such a traumatic age, and I experienced both the best year of my life (7th grade) and the absolute worst year of my life (8th grade) during that period. I love how independent middle schoolers try to be yet are still so impressionable. And I love that they are not quite yet jaded by the crappiness of the world.

I'll leave you with an email that one of my middle school campers sent me the summer I worked camps. This still cracks me up as much as the first time I read it...I've highlighted my favorite parts in red. Enjoy!

Cris I already miss you, and ACU. You are so nice, and have a giant heart. Thanks for always being there when I was bored, wanted someone to talk to, or just needed your beautiful smile. What's your phone #? I'm so sad to be gone. I miss everyone so much I'm having trouble not crying. I feel like I can talk to you when I'm down, and know you'll listen. My e-mail address is -------- . Oh I miss you so much. You are the greatest friend I've ever had, and that's sincere not play. My phone # is ------- please call me. I wish so bad that you could come and visit, you are just soooooooooooo nice. Please write back or call.
Love Sophie (Sophaloaf)
ACU
Abeline Christian University
View message header detail
P.S. I sent you another e-mail but I don't think it went through.
P.S.S. I miss you so much
P.S.S.S. call me

I'm sad to tell you that, despite being the greatest friend she'd ever had, I don't think I ever talked to her again. Bummer. Stay tuned for more delightful tidbits when I get back next weekend...

1 comment:

Deanna said...

um we are too much alike. jr. high kids are my fav!! they are so funny and crazy and formable (sp). i love them! i hope your week is awesome!