Monday, April 16, 2007

Let me clear something up. Contrary to what my previous post may suggest, I actually do have a life. A productive one. "This is what I do on Saturdays" is actually a comment on my taking the opportunity to rest on Saturdays. (Observation #1: I am a nerd. I consider making a pie chart "rest".)

Contrary to what a coupling of the previous post with the post before that may suggest, I do not spend all my time blogging, making pie charts, and getting banana cream pie shakes from Sonic. Those are activities included in the restful part of my life, when I'm resting from the productive part. The productive part includes classes, a job, and involvement with the FROGS class at church (which really deserves to be its own subject of a post.) Primarily because of these three broad categories of activities, added to the random activities that come up week per week, Saturdays are my days to sleep in, lay around, and make pie charts, apparently.

Today at lunch I turned on CNN and was bothered to see the breaking news about the tragedy at Virginia Tech. When I left for class the count of fatalities was up to 22. When I came home three hours later and turned it on again, the count was up to 33. I have been physically nauseous since. As students described details of the day, I couldn't help but wonder what that must feel like for those students, trying to imagine something like that happening at ACU. I couldn't. I couldn't imagine hearing about some guy shooting his girlfriend in Gardner, or maybe actually hearing the gunshots, then finding out he crossed campus to the Sherrod building and opened fire on classes that my friends were in. I can't imagine him walking in to my classroom and shooting my professor right in front of my eyes.

My stomach is churning for the students who witnessed it, the students who got up for a normal day of classes and never made it home, the families who might yet not even know that their child, in fact, was one of the 32. My stomach is churning for the "6-foot tall Asian guy wearing a leather jacket" who woke up today and thought this was his best option.

Your kingdom come
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.

No comments: