Thursday, May 10, 2007

Nothing compares 2 u

I don't know why I have refrained from listening to the 90s channel on cable until now, but it has significantly improved the quality of two already very good days. Last night, after another rousing game of Life, I sat in my living room alone staring at the TV, soaking in the goodness that was coming from its very tiny speakers. I've known many a person who is obsessed with the 80s, but have yet to find someone who loves the 90s as much as I do. I would live that decade over and over and over again if I could, oversized shirts, grunge rock, TGIF and all.

I don't want to hog all the music to myself, so join me for a trip down memory lane as we look over some of my favorite tunes from the best decade of all time:

One Headlight- The Wallflowers
Basket Case- Green Day
1,2,3,4 Get Your Woman on the Floor- Coolio
Nothing Compares 2 U- Sinead O'Connor
All I Wanna Do- Sheryl Crow
Tubthumping- Chumbawumba
Pretty Fly for a White Guy- The Offspring
The Way- Fastball
Gangsta's Paradise- Coolio
Head Over Feet- Alanis Morissette
Kiss From a Rose- Seal
I Love You Always Forever- Donna Lewis
1979- Smashing Pumpkins
Killing Me Softly- The Fugees
Selling the Drama- Live
Lightning Crashes- Live
Roll to Me- Del Amitri
Fantasy- Mariah Carey
Love Rollercoaster- Red Hot Chili Peppers
Don't Speak- No Doubt
Semi-Charmed Life- 3rd Eye Blind
Truly Madly Deeply- Savage Garden
All Mixed Up- 311
Walking on the Sun- Smashmouth
Crazy- Aerosmith
Wonderwall- Oasis
Buddy Holly- Weezer
Runaway Train- Soul Asylum
Misery- Soul Asylum
Only Happy When it Rains- Garbage
Only Wanna Be with You- Hootie and the Blowfish
Freshmen- Verve Pipe
Bittersweet Symphony- The Verve
Kiss Me- Sixpence None the Richer
Big Bang Baby- STP
I Want You- Savage Garden
How Bizarre- OMC

I actually could go on and on...and on and on...but these are the first few that come to mind. You may notice that there is large representation from the years spanning about 1994-1997. That was what I qualify as the pinnacle of alternative rock, when Green Day, No Doubt, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, and most of the one-hit-wonders were in their hey day. Thanks to VH1's "I Love the 90s," I have also determined that 1997 was the best year of my life, period, and so that also explains why so much of this music comes from that time period.

Any additions, friends? Kelly I know you will have some input to share...

2 comments:

Jerms said...

just so you know, i added you as a link on my blog on the right sidebar. get excited.

Deanna said...

um 90's music is my total favorite. i think my fav song is closing time by semisonic. (late 90's). i also love anything by savage garden like "two beds and a coffee machine" and then what about "waterfalls" by TLC!!! Or "save tonight" by eagle eye cherry or counting crows "round here!" you've got me goin now!..last one..."3am" Matchbox 20! there are so many good ones! i love your list too!