Saturday, May 19, 2007

From the barren wastelands of Oklahoma...

Despite what all you Texans may think, my corner of the globe is actually much more good-looking than the majority of your state. This may come across as a fairly hostile way to begin a new entry, but recently I have received not one, but two comments on what a shame it must be to be from a "barren wasteland" or whatever clever words you people choose to make yourselves feel better about where you are from. These comments are nothing new, nothing original, and I willingly chose to be subjected to the Texan Snobbery when I made the decision to go to ACU. But I'm gone now, and I choose to put up with it no more. Texans, bring it on. (Before you get entirely, speechlessly offended, keep in mind that 1. I am not actually challenging you to a fight and that 2. I am half made of Texan blood. My father would be just as fired up at my fightin' words as you are.)

I've been home in Oklahoma for 2 days now, and for the first time since high school our family of 4 + 1 are all living under one roof. So far we are in the honeymoon phase, enjoying our time together sharing bathrooms, driveways, and lovingly poking fun at our mom. Hopefully it will be a long honeymoon, and we even have a few out-of-country trips planned to keep it interesting (not with each other, though, which might be the secret to familial bliss.)

It still hasn't hit me that I am a college graduate, and as I look for babysitting jobs to keep my cell phone bill paid for the summer, I don't make much progress in attaining that realization. Some of my friends are sending in resumes for big girl jobs, but not me. I'll be a nanny 3 days a week, thanks.

To my two special friends who leave on Friday for The Most Exciting Trip of Your Lives, GOOD LUCK! I'm already praying for you and can't wait to hear all about it. Take good care of South America for me, I'll be there soon.

Cheers, friends, and please watch this for the greatest laugh of your life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Listen, I'll be honest with you. I love Jesus, but I drink a little."

Deanna said...

I think OK is a great state. I even miss it sometimes. But being a Texan in Colorado I know how you feel. I am quite hated here.