Monday, March 26, 2007

The Most Exciting Day

In my quest to fundraise approximately $18,000 for a year's worth of missionary work, I can tell you right now that I will declare many different days The Most Exciting Day. However, you can be assured that this declaration will always, without a doubt, coincide with a jump in figures on my donation page.

It's just a fact.

Last night, at about 1:30 am, I was laying in bed, desperately trying to fall alseep but unable to rid my mind of racing thoughts surrounding my internship. It had been a while since this happened, so it was actually a welcomed, nostalgic dose of insomnia. Call me crazy, but I get the most excited when I'm losing sleep over it. :) Anyway, I've been thinking a lot lately about how best I can reach my friends to ask for support. I composed a mass email last week, but never sent it out. I knew that most of my friends, upon opening an email with oh, say 200 names in the address line, would delete it, assuming anything written to that many people must not be important. But oh, how important it is. So, I resisted as long as I could and then finally sold out, deciding to speak the language my generation knows best: Facebook.

I've created two Facebook groups in my life. The first, Chi Gamma Sub-T, was formed to poke healthy fun at the institution of social clubs on our campus. I won't go into the details of CGST, although it was wildly popular. Trust me. The second, With Your Help Cris Will Become a Missionary, I created last night, in the vain hope that my friends would join, see a precious picture of the little darling I met in Natal this summer, click on the simple link to my donation page, and begin supporting me. I invited about 350 of my closest friends to join, and by the time I woke up this morning at 9, my group already had 24 members.

By noon there were 45. By 2 there were 67. By 3:30 there were 85. Last I checked, at about 5:30, there were 96. This fact alone literally made my eyes well up with tears. I had no idea 96 people were willing to offer support, even if just emotional and prayerful, let alone join a group for it.

Now, remember what fact must coincide with a day being dubbed The Most Exciting Day? That's right, increase in monetary figures. Well. By noon I had received $10, by 4 I had received $30, and by 5 I had received a total of $130. From three people. Three people that would not even consider me one of their closer friends. I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me to have the support of my friends, let alone friends I don't even speak with that often. Today has been humbling, encouraging, happy, and, of course, THE MOST EXCITING DAY!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand how you feel! As I've been preparing to go on a short term mission trip to Africa, I've been so excited when I get checks in the mail. Even more than that, I'm always excited and often surprised by who sent them! I have felt so blessed to have the support of old friend's parents, old neighbors and long lost family friends. God has put so many people and so much love in my life...it amazes me. I'm excited for you and happy to know you are experiencing the same wonderful expressions of love from so many people in your life! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Cris,
Haha- I'm sorry if you received my last comment 4 or 5 times. I didn't think it was working, so I kept trying to resend it. But I now think it might have worked all along...oops!

ann said...

Que bom, Cristina! Hahaha... I LoLed at how you entitled my link. :) Thaaaaanks. Abilene was good. Believe it or not, despite the desolation, I am seriously considering going to grad school there now. We'll see... so you go off to Brazil and I'll keep your place warm in Abilene. Or Abilenee as they say in Portuguese. :)
bjus!